Top 9 big Salabhasana benefits
Salabhasana yoga asana is relatively simple to perform and can be performed safely by beginners. Salabhasana is the basic posture of Hatha Yoga. This asana when regularly practiced will increase the flexibility of the body.
This asana particularly works on waist and back muscles, as a result, people suffering from lower back pain get relief.
Meaning of Salabhasana yoga asana
The Salabhasana yoga asana is also known as “Locust Pose”. ‘Salabha’ in the Sanskrit language means ‘locust’ or ‘Grasshopper’and ‘asana’ means ‘pose’ or ‘posture’. When this asana is performed the pose resembles a locust resting on the ground, hence the name, ‘Salabhasana’.
It is always very important that yoga asana should be performed correctly so that maximum benefit can be derived from it and no harm is caused by improperly doing it.
Salabhasana basic details (Locust pose details)
|Meaning||Salabha means ‘Locust’|
Asana means ‘Pose’
|Englsih Name||Locust Pose|
|Position||lying belly down on the floor|
How to do Salabhasana (Locust pose)
- Lie flat on the floor on your stomach, face downwards, and palms facing upward. Now stretch your arms back.
- Exhale, raise your head, chest, and legs off the floor in one go as high as possible for you.
- Your hands and ribs should not rest on the floor. Your abdominal front portion of the body should only be on the floor and it should bear the weight of the body
- Contract your buttocks and stretch your thighs. Keep your legs fully extended and straight. Your legs should be touching at thighs, knees, and ankles.
- Stretch your hands back as far as you can, to work out the upper portion of your back muscles.
- Stay in this position as long as it is possible for you with normal breathing.
In the beginning, you will find it difficult to lift the chest and the legs off the ground, but as your abdominal muscles grow stronger it will become easier.
Salabhasana benefits (Locust pose benefits)
- Salabhasana helps to aids digestion and relieves gastric and flatulence issues.
- This asana particularly works on the spine when it is stretched thus spine becomes elastic, so benefits all spine-related issues.
- This asana relieves pain in the sacral and lumbar areas.
- Regular practice of this asana benefits people suffering from slipped disk problems without surgical treatment.
- This asana keeps the bladder and prostate gland healthy.
- Salabhasana strengthens the muscles of the stomach and back areas.
- Helpful in menopause and menstrual disorders.
- Salabhasana helps in urological issues and also helps in constipation.
- The regular practice of this asana can help in curing Sciatica.
A variation of this pose should also be tried to relieve pain in the lower part of the back.
If you find Salabhasana difficult to perform then you can also start with Ardh Salabhasana
Salabhasana precautions (Locust pose precautions)
- Always practice Salabhasana after clearing your bowel in the morning
- Morning time is best for doing Salabasana but if you have to do it some other time then make sure that there is a gap of 3-4 hours between your last meal and practice.
- Never breathe from your mouth while doing Salabhasana, always breathe normally with your nose.
- If you have undergone any abdominal surgery or operation then avoid practicing this asana.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this asana.
- If you having any hip or spinal issues then avoid this asana.
- If you start feeling weakness or dizziness after doing this asana then you need to immediately stop.
- Never overdo this asana and always make sure to increase the time duration of this asana gradually.
- If you having any health issues then always consult your physician before you start doing this asana.
If you are regular with your routine of doing yoga asana then Salabhasana is a must for you to include in it. This asana is relatively simple to perform and brings in lots of benefits over time. Salabhasana strengthens the stomach and back muscles, improves body posture, and relieves issues like back pain.
You may also like:
- Bhujangasana Cobra Pose in yoga Top 10 amazing benefits
- Top 12 janu shirshasana benefits
- Headstand On forearms: 16 Awesome Benefits
- Top 5 big Urdhva Prasarita Padasana benefits
- Top 11 Agnisar kriya benefits
Share your experience of doing Salabhasana (Locust pose) and let us know if you have any questions or comments regarding this Pose in the comments section below.